- Select a venue that is kid friendly and safe. You may want to avoid a wedding at the lake and opt for a park instead.
- Make childcare an option at the ceremony by hiring trustworthy babysitters. There are local companies that would be willing to provide this service. In Raleigh-Durham area consider Fun Spaces to help with an event for the kids that is as great (to them) as yours.
- Have separate seating for children during the reception. At these tables include games, plenty of paper, and crafts.
- Have a separate, simpler menu for children. This may cut down on catering cost But beware, that many caterers charge the same amount for children as they do for adults.
- Create a separate kid friendly zone. This area can be another room close to the adult festivities. Decorate according to the theme of your wedding including a catchy name, age appropriate movies, and games.
- Hire age appropriate professional entertainment for the reception. Think magician, fictional character, or local athletic team mascot.
- Keep them on their toes on the dance floor. Dance with them. Take plenty of pictures with them. These are the memories that last a lifetime.
Note: Co-authored by A Paradigm Shift Event team member Ja'Nell Henry.